Sunday, January 12, 2014

Ariel

"The seaweed is always greener in some body elses lake. You dream about goin up der, dat is a big mistake. Just look at the world around you right on the ocean floor, such wonderful things around you. What more is you lookin for? Under duh sea..."

How can you not jam to that it is a classic and it's also on my running play list :) gets me pumped! Haha

Well obviously I am a huuuuuuge fan of the Disney movie, The Little Mermaid. I can find tons of inspiration when it comes to her personality and I can relate. She looks at our world in awe and amazement, not caring about the danger or the consequences that developes from ignorance or carelessness. Shes driven by passion amd knowledge and well eventually, love. Shes amusing, kind, and predictable. Shes also careless in her quest, much like the rest of us with life. But imagine if you will...looking at the world not knowing any of its things and not caring because your engulfed in its knowledge and beauty that your utterly amazed and astonished by it and it's occupants that your willing to take any risks to experience it...its a fresh perspective on life completely. Its mesmerizing. Id envy her if she were real. I feel its how we should all look at life, but then again it does help to know what your getting yourself into. And well having good friends to do it with is just a bonus. This is a great Disney movie and my favorite. So I felt the need to capture this character when she was most astonished.

This painting took a few months, but realistically it was probably only a few hours because I only paint when compelled...In  this scene she's soaked and wringing out her hair. It may be when she first really notices Eric. I started with a sketch, then moved to water color. I used cheap paints at first so it did not come out to my liking. I fixed that mistake by using prisma watercolor pencils over what I originally painted. Its a high pigment pencil that blends rather well. It was my first attempt at using them. I'm not sure I nailed it, but it definately came out much better then what I previously tried and a big difference at that. So after I penciled/colored everything in, I painted water over the whole picture (You can pencil then paint or you can dip the pencils in water then draw and paint. Its rather cool). And voila! This Is the end product. I hope you like it.

Feel free to leave comments,  constructive critcism, or whatever your heart desires. Thanks for taking the time to look :)

4 comments:

  1. I think this is when Ariel washes onto shore with her new legs and Eric meets her for the first time. (after being chased up a rock by that blasted dog! . . . yeah I probably have watched this movie too many times :-P)

    But I think it looks great! Even your signature is Facy Smancy. :-P Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my memory is horrible, but I was close...Eric for the first time. It's a classic. I don't think this is the last of my Ariel creations lol.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews